Let us first understand what is NIOS. NIOS is a short form for the National Institute of Open Schooling. NIOS is the board of education formed by the Government of India with the aim of providing a variety of educational programs that are accessible to the poorest of the poor and are available for educated or uneducated people.
More than 1.5 million students have enrolled for NIOS education from the year 2004 to 2009 at secondary and senior secondary levels. The annual admission of students to NIOS programs is about 350,000. This makes NIOS the largest open schooling system in the entire world. These many students willing to join NIOS are proof itself of the convenience, usefulness, and acceptability of this education system.
The following reasons make NIOS a preferred way of education:
- It was established by the government of India in 1989 with the aim to make education accessible to all segments of society.
- Recognized by the educational institutes all over India and Internationally.
- No limitation of location as this education can be taken from anywhere across the world. It is a distance learning module of education.
- Flexible learning option where a student can undertake many courses and complete the same at will.
- No limitation on past education and this system of education is open even for people without any prior education.
- Examinations for Secondary and Senior Secondary courses are very similar to the CBSE and CISCE.
- Many vocational courses are available after high school.
- Students can take their education at their own pace. This system offers more period of time than the normal education system which has 12 years of school education.
- NIOS is a suitable education system for a diverse group of students like learners with mental, intellectual, or physical disabilities or differently-abled students.
- This education system is available across India and also internationally in select countries.
- Working people can continue with their education with this system.
- Learners who are school drop-outs can continue their education.
- It is perfect for learners who want to complete their secondary, senior secondary or want to undertake life skill / vocational education.
- This education system is suitable for the economically weak sections of society.
- Skill or vocational education courses are job-oriented and helps the learners get a job after completion of their education or make them capable enough to become entrepreneurs.
- Education can be continued even if there are breaks at any point of time during the course.
- Discontinuity does not render one ineligible to complete any course.
- There is flexibility even while appearing for the examinations. Whenever the learners feel that they are ready for appearing at the examination, they can give the exams. The candidates have the freedom to schedule the date and time of examination.
- As the secondary and higher secondary courses are recognized by the Government of India, the learner is eligible to take admission to their choice of Bachelor’s degree course or Diploma course, or any other courses that they wish to pursue.
- All private and public sector organizations recognize the courses. Thus, the students get all the opportunities to work in the public and private sectors and even worldwide.
Looking into the above facts, parents should choose the NIOS education. This is because it offers all the freedom and flexibility to let the students complete their education under adverse circumstances too. The economically weaker sections need not leave their work or compromise on their income to get themselves educated. Students who are school dropouts, handicapped, etc. can all fulfil their dream of getting a quality education. Undertaking the vocational courses makes a learner fit for doing jobs.